Wednesday 14 May 2014

Emma Stone & gender stereotyping (SHE IS AWESOME!)

I would like to dedicate my first post to Emma Stone because she is AWESOME. One of the many reasons I love her is her feminist ways, such as challenging Andrew Garfield (Spider-Man) on gender stereotyping.

During a Spider-Man press junket, a young boy fan asked Garfield how Spider-Man got his costume. Garfield replied with, "He made it. He made it with his bare hands. He sewed it. He took some sewing classes and some needlepoint classes. It's kind of a feminine thing to do. He made a very masculine costume out of a very feminine...."

And Emma Stone cut him of by asking, "It's feminine, how?"
Standing up for women (and men that know how to sew).

"It's amazing how you took that as an insult" Garfield said.

"No, I'm not taking that as an insult, I'm asking how it's feminine", Emma continued.

Then Garfield back-pedalled (in a non ugly way) and explained, "Like my mother, she's an amazing craftsman. She in fact made my first Spider-Man costume when I was three, so I use it as a compliment. We all have feminine in us, young men".

However way Garfield meant it, let's hand it to Emma Stone for challenging Garfield on gender stereotyping.  Total loves to the woman!

Watch video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoWEKah0NGM

No comments:

Post a Comment