Friday 26 September 2014

John Mayer

Soooooo few weeks ago whilst reading an article on HelloGiggles (My favourite EVER website. Like ever),something strange occurred to me – I am yet to write an article on the love of my life, the reason for my existence, my soul mate and the hottest guy on earth = John Mayer!!!!

Anyone that knows me well and anyone who has just met me like five minutes ago would tell you that I am completely utterly in love and tiny bit obsessed with John Mayer. He is an amazing song writer, singer and guitar player. And he is even more AMAZING live. I was lucky enough to see him in concert twice (BEST DAYS EVER). And of course he ain't bad to look at either: 



Sure the man has some negative reputation in the media, and to be honest I'm not going to try making excuses for his womanising ways or try defending some of the asshole comments he has made over the years in interviews. End of the day we're all human and make mistakes. But despite what you think of him, the man is a guitar genius. One of the best ones out there today! And the lyrics he writes... Omg! Just pure beauty. 

Just in case you don’t believe me I have listed and linked ten songs of his I love the most (in no order). And trust me, picking just ten was as hard as graduating from university! 

Gravity

The first song of Mayer’s I fell in love with was Gravity. Utterly beautiful and amazing. To this day the song still gives me chills. The slow intro, the guitar solo at the end, his heartbreakingly gentle voice, the lyrics, oh the lyrics! Absolutely phenomenal!
I was lucky enough to see him perform this masterpiece twice. And yes both times I cried!
I love this song so much that it actually inspired my first tattoo – ‘Keep me where the light is’. 

Gravity is working against me
And gravity wants to bring me down

Oh I'll never know what makes this man
With all the love that his heart can stand
Dream of ways to throw it all away


In your Atmosphere

This is my favourite John Mayer song. The lyrics and vocals are just amazing. A lot of people haven’t heard of this song as it hasn’t been released on a studio album. Every time I listen to the song it breaks my heart. I was so so so happy when he performed this song this year at concert. Best moment ever! 

Wherever I go, Whatever I do
I wonder where I am in my relationship to you
Wherever you go, Wherever you are
I watch your life play out in pictures from afar

Edge of Desire

Ever listened to a song that was an emotional roller coaster from beginning to end? No? Then drop everything RIGHT NOW and listen to Edge of Desire! This song captures that feeling of missing someone so perfectly that it will hurt all over again. And for that I am sorry but the beautiful melody and lyrics will be worth it. 

there I just said it
I'm scared you'll forget about me

Comfortable

You know when you break up with someone and get with someone else but can’t stop thinking about the other person and deep down still love and want them? Well then this song is for you. It is such a beautiful song, really tells the story of being in a new relationship but wanting that old comfortable relationship back. This song always gives me Goosebumps. God bless you John Mayer! 

She thinks I can't see the smile that she's fakin'
and poses for pictures that aren't being taken
I loved you
grey sweat pants, no makeup, so perfect

Our love was, comfortable and
so broken in
she's perfect, so flawless
I'm not impressed, I want you back.

Daughters

The people who call John Mayer a “jerk” and whatnot, really need to listen to this song. The honest lyrics and the incredible guitar make this one of my favourites. Such a meaningful song! 

Fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too

Stop the Train

A great song about growing up and becoming an adult in the real world. The song really makes you think about how time goes so fast and how you should appreciate life. The part where he sings about his father makes this song extra special. A genius song with genius lyrics! 

So scared of getting older
I'm only good at being young

Dreaming with a Broken Heart

The first time I heard this song I cried. And years later I still cry. Another masterpiece. It is just an amazing and heartbreaking song. His voice throughout the song is so sad and raw. 


Do I have to fall asleep with roses in my, roses in my hand?
would you get them if I did?
No you won't, 'cause you're gone, gone, gone, gone, gone....

I don’t Trust Myself

Yet another amazing song by John Mayer. Wanting to love someone so badly but not trusting yourself to do so. Le sigh. The song is perfection all around, the guitar solo, his voice and the lyrics!! 

I will beg my way into your garden
I will break my way out when it rains
Just to get back to the place where I started
So I can want you back all over again

Man on the Side

Again not a lot of people have heard of this masterpiece song, but to me is one of his best. The hurt, anger and sadness in his voice... wow. Perfection. 

I fell in love with a dream that I built of you
Playing the part of the Queen
Taking my own advice, I'm giving up tonight
Good luck to you and the king

Dear Marie

This song is about Mayer’s first girlfriend when they were fifteen, who knew him before he was famous. Such a sweet and honest song about first love and how some loves isn't meant to be. So sad. 



Dear Marie,
Tell me do you still believe in me?
Oh, dear Marie,
Tell me do you still believe in me?

Well, I got my dream, but you got a family
Yeah, I got that dream, but you got yourself a family
Yeah, I got that dream, but I guess it got away from me


There you have it folks! Sooooooo are you utterly completely in love with this amazing man yet?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment