Saturday 7 November 2015

Can we please take a moment to appreciate the greatness that is JLaw?!!



Happy November everyone!




Have you guys subscribed to Lenny yet? If no, do it now yo! If yes, then well done on making a good life choice! Lenny letter is a feminist newsletter cooked up by Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner. Lenny is feminism, style, health, politics, friendship and everything else. And I love it!!

Last month’s newsletter included an essay by Jennifer Lawrence - Why Do I make Less Than My Male Co-Stars? With this epic essay, JLaw gave us yet another reason to love her! Its charming, easy to read and so powerful. JLaw totally wrote it in a flow to her personality. I absolutely enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoy watching her. But before we cut to the essay, let’s just quickly recap – Jlaw is not only one of the hottest young actresses out there but also the highest paid actress in Hollywood. Not only that – she is an Oscar and a Golden Globe winner along with multiple Oscar and other award nominees. And STILL JLaw somehow made less than her male co-stars. Strange that isn’t it? And yet some people still wonder why we need feminism…

In her essay, Jennifer openly discussed the pay differences between the sexes as well as her own personal experience of being a woman in the industry. She straight up cut the bullshit – It's hard for me to speak about my experience as a working woman because I can safely say my problems aren't exactly relatable. When the Sony hack happened and I found out how much less I was being paid than the lucky people with dicks, I didn't get mad at Sony. I got mad at myself. I failed as a negotiator because I gave up early. I didn't want to keep fighting over millions of dollars that, frankly, due to two franchises, I don't need. (I told you it wasn't relatable, don't hate me).” She gets it. She gets that “her problems” is no way the same as ours. That she doesn’t need to worry about mortgages, bills and such. But if you think about it, the “lucky people with dicks” don’t “need” it either…  

She then goes on to be a bit more honest and admits something that some of us at times are scared to even admit to ourselves – “I'm over trying to find the "adorable" way to state my opinion and still be likable! Fuck that. I don't think I've ever worked for a man in charge who spent time contemplating what angle he should use to have his voice heard. It's just heard. Jeremy Renner, Christian Bale, and Bradley Cooper all fought and succeeded in negotiating powerful deals for themselves. If anything, I'm sure they were commended for being fierce and tactical, while I was busy worrying about coming across as a brat and not getting my fair share.


“But if I'm honest with myself, I would be lying if I didn't say there was an element of wanting to be liked that influenced my decision to close the deal without a real fight. I didn't want to seem "difficult" or "spoiled."


Wait for it, even more greatness – “Are we socially conditioned to behave this way? We've only been able to vote for what, 90 years? I'm seriously asking — my phone is on the counter and I'm on the couch, so a calculator is obviously out of the question. Could there still be a lingering habit of trying to express our opinions in a certain way that doesn't "offend" or "scare" men?”










I love it.

No bullshit, at all. 




Click here to read JLaw’s article for Lenny - http://www.lennyletter.com/work/a147/jennifer-lawrence-why-do-i-make-less-than-my-male-costars/











https://d26oc3sg82pgk3.cloudfront.net/files/media/filer_public/2015/05/12/04_taped.gif


http://38.media.tumblr.com/b942579975de0ab7bdf329e7a24e1a38/tumblr_inline_nmg7fjYCY61sriyoy_500.gif


http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2015-04/7/11/imagebuzz/webdr15/anigif_optimized-27916-1428419283-5.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment