Monday 31 July 2017

"Maybe I will tell you in a poem one day"

I don't know you.

And you don't know me.

But our demons were loose and they danced well together for a while.

Not a tango.

Not a waltz.

I told you I drink my coffee black. No sugars.

You said you cut down.

We played chess with quotes

Back and forth. Back and forth.

When we met I was in a committed relationship with two guys called insomnia and anxiety.

You said you been there, done that.

You thought it was cute how I couldn't make eye contact with you.

I told you your game was cruel.

You said my words were crueler.

I wore a black dress the first night. To match my state of mind.

You said you liked my black heeled boots as you watched me stumble around drunk all night.

You played me my favourite song to sweep me off my feet

Than later complained that you hated sweeping as it left you feeling dirty.

I told you I was an openbook

You said you hated reading.

You told me no but you came wearing a white shirt that night.

 So tell me, who's the cruel one now?

You belittled my feelings

So I belittled you in return.

We forgot each other's good sides

and buried what we had in bitterness.

I told you I was a writer

You handed me a pen and asked me to write for you

And when I did

You said you were meant to hand me a pencil so you could erase it later when you no longer liked my words.

For two people that loved words

We ran out of words to use to hurt each other.

One time I asked you if the sadness ever ends

You replied that you didn't understand my question

I didn't push it further

You didn't push it either

I should've accepted it than

That I was just chasing the ghost of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment