Friday 21 April 2017

Week 3.

Last night I made some time to self-reflect. What have I learnt the past 3 weeks? I learnt so much. I further educated myself on mental illness, not to just help myself but to help others too. And wow, if I thought I knew shit before about mental illness, than maaaan - I was wrong. Almost every day I learn something new about mental illness. Like my friend said to me - "How were you to take care of yourself when you yourself have half-a-knowledge of the problem". And that is true. Very true. The first step to understanding mental illnesses and how they affect people is to become educated.  I learnt that there's a difference between happiness and positivity. Fleeting Emotion vs. Logical Choice. One is about your heart, the other is about using your mind. No matter what's going on in your life, you can strive for a positive attitude. But happiness is not really a choice - you can't fake happiness. If you just don't feel that way, you don't feel that way. I also learnt that its OKAY to not be happy all the time, but staying positive through it all is a must! We ain't robots. We have feelings. And its OKAY  to crash now and than, as long as you get back up, stronger and better than ever before. I truly think we are sometimes too hard on ourselves. Let's sit back and reflect. Despite all the heartbreak, suffering and grief, despite everything, you have survived. You are here today. Isn't that alone something?
So yeah, I feel its important to speak out about mental illness as there are so many people out there who are yet to find their strength to seek help and find their voice.
It can happen to anyone. As a strong, outspoken, confident and independent woman, I never thought it would ever happen to me. Hint why I DENIED it for so long, everytime I felt it creeping up, I used my anger to push it away. I became a crazy angry bitter person day by day. Angry over stupid stupid things. And all along, it was there, sitting on my shoulder waiting for me to crash. And I did. But I'm here today, happier mentally and emotionally. Slowly but surely.
Send some love today, firstly to yourself and secondly to someone you know is suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment