Monday 16 March 2015

That awesome moment when Emma Watson inspired us all on International Women's Day



Can we please take a moment and appreciate the brilliance that is Emma Watson!


My love for Emma has always been great, started with Harry Potter (obviously), went strong with Perks of being a Wallflower (One of my favourite books, great movie too!) and it doubled when she declared herself a feminist and gave that awesome speech at the UN.  


Last week on Sunday Emma gave an interview at Facebook Headquarters to celebrate International Women’s Day. She said women need to stop asking for permission and take the lead and change that. And that no one should tell women what they can and cannot do, that women "should be whatever you want to be". Emma went on to talk  about the aftermath of that interview and how moments after, she was threatened with the release of nude pictures of her on a hoax website, which never happened, because there was no pictures. Emma does not hold back on her rage as she explained,
 “I knew it was a hoax, I knew the pictures didn’t exist, but I think a lot of people that were close to me knew gender equality was an issue but didn’t think it was that urgent, that it was a thing of the past. And then when they saw that the minute I stood up talking about women’s rights I was immediately threatened, I think they were really shocked, my brother was particularly upset. This is a real thing that’s happening now, women are receiving threats. I was raging, it made me so angry, I was like, this is why I have to be doing this. If anything, if they were trying to put me off it, it did the opposite.”
Hell yeah Emma Watson!  I love this new fiery confident side to her, how she takes no crap and is not at all afraid to speak up!


She went on to talk about how she has a problem with guys who are not okay with her paying on dates.
“I actually took a man out for dinner, and I chose the restaurant and I offered to pay and it was really awkward and uncomfortable. . .but the cool thing about it was we were both willing to have the conversation about why it was awkward or why it was uncomfortable. We were able to have this dialogue. “
This is a point I’ve made my whole life and always got mocked for it, by both females and males, I am not comfortable with my date paying for the bill. Why should he? I have a job, I have my own money. So yeah I believe in paying half and half. Nothing personal. Jeeeeze don’t be stuck on nobility! Its 2015!


So thank you Emma for getting it!

Speaking in support of LGBT & Trans communities –
“This is their movement”, He For She is about men coming to support women for femininity and for feminine qualities, because they are currently valued less in our society. Femininity needs to be embraced wherever it is … whether it be in a man or a woman or a non-conforming gender person. My specific mandate is to advocate for women and girls but I also understand that these oppressions are interlocking, mutually reinforcing. Intersectionality is a really important word here. We need to be supporting each other, I hope they feel this is their movement, because it is.”
Emma Watson, you’re becoming a revolutionary as well as one hell of a feminist! And I applaud you for it!!

Hermione would be proud! 






credits - https://www.facebook.com/emmawatson?fref=nf 

http://www.gotceleb.com/wp-content/uploads/celebrities/emma-watson/elle-uk-december-2014/Emma-Watson:-ELLE-UK-2014--07.jpg

http://www.buro247.com/thumb/640x960_8/images/Some_of_the_best_quotes_from_Emma_Watsons_QA_on_International_Womens_Day.jpeg

http://hellogiggles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/08/tumblr_mmjqcuNB9b1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

https://xotheknot.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/zoey-4.gif?w=652

https://31.media.tumblr.com/26dad1a489b88d8b93ac5774a0375414/tumblr_nc4visgHvR1tlcla7o5_500.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment